Here are some hints and tips from people who’ve already had a go at reducing the amount of plastic in their lives.
- Don’t throw out the Tupperware! Re-usable plastic containers are very useful in helping to cut down the amount of new plastic
- Carry re-usable shopping bags at all times
- Take your own containers for meat and fish
- Buy fruit and veg loose rather than in packs. Put them in your own plastic bags (re-used) – or simply put things loose into your bag
- When offered extra wrappings in the supermarket – just say No!
- You can cut down on packaging by buying in bulk. If you cannot manage bulk buying on your own, could you share a bulk purchase with friends or neighbours?
- If you can, get milk delivered in returnable glass bottles
- Don’t buy bottled water. If you want to carry water with you, use a travel mug (or an old water bottle can be re-used)
- Make your own rather than buying ready-prepared meals or take-aways
- Use re-fillable cleaning products
We’ll be posting more suggestions and ideas as we hear them. If you’ve got ideas, then why not share them with others? E-mail email@example.com.